Additive Manufacturing Lab
GEMA group has pioneered research in Spain in additive manufacturing of ceramics and ceramic-based composites by Robocasting or Direct Ink Writing (DIW). Our lab is equiped with state-of-the-art additive manufacturing systems (3D printers) both extrusion-based and vat photopolymerization systems. We can, therefore, fabricate complex ceramic-based materials and composites, as well as polymeric parts, with resolutions down to the nanoscale:
- Robocasting or Direct Ink Writing (DIW) printers, including UV-assisted DIW systems.
- Digital Light Processing (DLP) printers.
- Two-Photon Polymerization (TPP) Nanoscribe printer for nanofabrication.
- Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF) printers.
The lab includes all means for research in additive manufacturing including the preparation of custom feedstocks for all these AM techniques:
- Mills (planetary, attrition and high energy mills) for powder refinement.
- Freeze drier.
- Particle size analyzer.
- Zeta potential measurement system.
- High performance mixer for slurry preparation.
- Extruders for fabrication of polymer-based filaments.
Our expertise extends also to the microstructural characterization, mechanical testing and optimization, as well as modelling and numerical simulation of complex parts fabricated by additive manufacturing, being a reference research group in Spain on these topics.
Calcium phosphate scaffold fabricated by DLP